Portland, Oregon: Powell's Books + Portland Art Museum

I hope you all had a merry Christmas!  
I apologize for not posting before leaving on my Christmas vacation to
PORTLAND, OREGON


(well, Kelso, Washington actually),
but life just whizzed by those last few days before I left.
Here's a quick recap of a day trip we took into downtown Portland:

We went to 
Powell's City of Books


...and I decided I want to move in. I could spend a life time perusing their shelves.
This place had not only newly published books
but hard to find VINTAGE books as well. Oh. My. Goodness.

We grabbed a quick bite at Baja Fresh:
(I know it's probably nothing special to a lot of you out there, but for us Utahans, 
it was AWESOME to have good gluten-free, dairy free food. Mmm....)


...then headed to the Portland Art Museum.  We saw some of my favorite artists, like...

Mark Rothko...


 ...& Franz Kline.


Amazing.  
There were also some artist's works that I didn't recognize but were inspiring none-the-less:



... and some pieces that were down-right creepy (in my opinion).
We couldn't tell if this installation was a real person or not. 
Since he looked like a serial killer, I avoided getting too close.


Did I mention there were Franz Klines?


Seriously, I fell in love with Portland.  
I am smitten with all the cafes, shopping, culture, the hustle and bustle, 
and you just can't beat their scenery.
Who knows, maybe the hubby and I will end up there one day?

What did you do for the holidays??

2 comments:

  1. YAY!! I grew up in Portland and lived there for 30 years before moving to Denver. It was so fun to see all your great photos and I am so happy that you love the city. It holds a special place in my heart :-)

    And Powells Books is amazing! I can't tell you how many times I've been lost in that store!

    XO - Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I am so glad I stumbled upon your blog...we were thinking of going to Oregon some time soon (since we have never been) and this totally just made my decision! :-) And I LOVE Mark Rothko's work too! (great minds think alike!) :-)

    Come on over and follow my Color Issue blog...it's all about color! I think you'd really like it! :-)

    xoxo
    Aarean

    ReplyDelete